Friday, May 13

April In Paris, As Seen In GingerScrapsStreet Magazine April 2011

Hybrid Fleur De Lis and Eiffel Tower by Julie Ann Shahin
April in Paris
Julie Ann Shahin

There were lovers sitting in the park on benches, kissing lovingly in the sunlight. There were old ladies selling breads and pastries in their shops, and they didn’t speak a word of English. Water glistened in the Seine River, and as night fell, the streets grew quiet due to the rain, and my friend and I found the magic of Paris at that moment when the stars came out, and the rain stopped. We found a tour boat that would take us past the Eiffel Tower, and I’ll never forget that first glimpse of the landmark that is most synonymous with love and romance in the world, as the Eiffel Tower is lit up with lights at night, and the lights sparkled as they cast a glow on the water of the river. Ah, yes, springtime in Paris.

April In Paris lyrics Vernon Duke / E. Y. Harburg
I never knew the charm of spring
I never met it face to face
I never new my heart could sing
I never missed a warm embrace

Till April in Paris, chestnuts in blossom
Holiday tables under the trees
April in Paris, this is a feeling
That no one can ever reprise

I never knew the charm of spring
I never met it face to face
I never new my heart could sing
I never missed a warm embrace

Till April in Paris
Whom can I run to
What have you done to my heart 

While I explored Paris many, many years ago not during April, but during the month of May, it was springtime after all, and there is something undeniably romantic about the city, the culture, the history, the language.....all of it. Whether you like the hustle and bustle of the Avenue des Champs-Élysées, the art in the Musee d’Orsay and the Louvre, or taking photos in the historic village of Montmartre, nothing is quite as romantic as La Tour Eiffel, nicknamed La dame de fer, The Iron Lady.


In Love by Kathy Racoosin 
Supplies: Stamps: Penny Black, Inc., Ink: Memento, Ranger Industries, 3-D Glossy Medium: Ranger Industries, Pens: Sharpie, Uni-ball, Glitter: Martha Stewart, Transparency: Staples. Tools: Die-Cutting Machine: Cuttlebug, Die-Cut: Spellbinders, Markers: Copics.
Designer’s Notes: I stamped the image of the Eiffel Tower on a transparency with black ink & placed it on my projector to enlarge the image . If you have a scanner I think you would be able to achieve the same result. I held the paper up on the wall where the image was projected and used a pencil to trace the lines of the image. I took the paper off the wall and traced over the pencil with a black fine tip sharpie marker. I erased all pencil lines. I proceeded to color the Eiffel tower with copic markers and added cross lines for accents. I used my cuttlebug to cut the heart and distressed it with worn lipstick distress ink. The sentiment was stamped repeatedly on the heart with Barn Door Distress Ink. Set aside and stamp the couple on white card stock, color with Copic markers. I pop dotted her dress so in the photo her head looks like I cut it off. I also cut out an extra pair of jeans for more dimension on the guy and added glossy accents to the shoes and flowers. I wish you could see the black glitter accents on her dress.


Hybrid Fleur De Lis and Eiffel Tower by Julie Ann Shahin 
Supplies: Fleur De Lis: Unfinished Wood Shape: Say It With Letters,  Eiffel Tower: Birdhouse: Michaels, Flowers: Prima Marketing, Lace: Vintage, Adhesive: Liquitex Gel Medium Matte. Tools:  Scissors: Fiskars, Paint: Making Memories, Other: Emery Board Distresser. Digital Supplies: Kit: Queen of Cakes Collab with Holliewood Studios by Tangie Baxter Designs (Scrapbookgraphics), Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 7, Kit: Queen of Cakes Collab with Holliewood Studios by Tangie Baxter Designs (Scrapbookgraphics).
Design Notes: I had my eye on the unfinished wood birdhouse in the shape of the Eiffel Tower from the craft store for a few weeks, so when I got the Fleur De Lis from Deb at Say It With Letters, I knew I wanted to pair both up to make a vignette. I love pink to begin with, yet Paris in the Springtime just speaks to me of Cherry Blossoms, and so this was the atmosphere I wanted to try to capture in my project. First, I painted the birdhouse a pale shimmery pink. Then, I printed the digital papers onto 8.5” x 11” papers, and then traced around the wood shapes on the wrong side of the paper before cutting them out and adhering them. I love walking into my scraproom and getting a glimpse of my little Eiffel Tower, and it makes me smile!



Someday by Heather E. Guenther 
Digital Supplies: Paper: Martha My Dear Seashell Paper by Deena Rutter (DesignHouseDigital), Eiffel Tower: Paris & Co Elements A La Carte Wordart by Carina Gardner (TwoPeasinaBuckt), Flowers & Ribbon: Spring Sing by Audrey Neal (Design House Digital - Facebook Exclusive Kit for Audacious Designs), Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5, Fonts: Byron, Underwood Champion.
Design Notes: The design was inspired by Challenge 8 of the Amazing Digi Scrappers Race 5. So it was created from a listing of requirements: to be about something you wanted to do someday and include a clustering of different elements. I chose the Eiffel Tower word art and erased the writing so I was just left with the tower because when I think of Paris, I think of the Eiffel Tower. Next I used a sprig and clustered a bunch of flowers around it to create my clustering elements as when I think of spring, I think of buds and flowers blooming. Lastly, I wanted to tie it all up so finished with a ribbon along the edge for balance.
Journaling: someday... I want to visit paris with mike in the springtime.


As an Interior Design Student graduate from a Big 10 University, I was required to study Art History of the ages in order to earn my degree. One of the most interesting design periods was France’s Baroque period during the early 17th century. This style was quite opulent, bold, with dramatic contrasts, and exuberance met with classical restraint. Versailles was transformed into a palace by Louis XIV during this time. The following Paris projects and layouts on this page, I believe, reflect some of these Baroque and Classicism characteristics. They are romantic, beautiful, and charming.


Un balcon sur Paris/ A Balcony in Paris by Fabienne Pernot 

Supplies: Cardboard Balcony Kit, Chipboard: EmbelliScrap, Paper: Webster's Pages, Gems, Flowers: Prima, Die Cuts: Crafty Secrets, Vintage, Paint: Gesso, Specialty Paint, Inks: Ranger Industries, Pens: American Craft, Fonts: English, Other: Liquid Pearl, Buttons. Tools: Glue: Aleene’s, Punches: Martha Stewart, Border Punches: EK Success, Martha Stewart, Stamps: Crafty Secrets, Florilèges Design, Other: Sandpaper.

Editor’s Note: I have never seen such an incredible idea for a mini-album, presented in a three-dimensional format. The balcony folds down, the doors and windows open out, and the mini-album folds out from there. It is really a delightful way to highlight a memorable vacation. You can view more photos of this project and the inside album pages in a slideshow here. Thanks Fabienne for sharing it with us! Journaling: A Trip in Paris.


Paris 2008 by Ranie O’Dell 

Digital Supplies: Stitching: Joined At The Hip Elements by Tia Bennett , Paper: Line 'em Up Paper Pack By Katherine Teague, Silhouettes For Nie By Multiple Artists, Alpha: Parisian Alpha Kit By Rhonna Farrer, Postcard: Mr. Postman By Sande Krieger, Ephemera: Paris Flea Market Finds v.1 By Sande Krieger, Tag: DigiKit - Just Dandy Journaling Tags By Cherie Mask, Brushes: Round N Round V4 Brush Set by Rhonna Farrer (all from TwoPeasinaBucket). 

Design Notes: My husband travels all over the world and was looking for something to take with him to photograph that my daughter could identify with and know that he was thinking about her. When I saw these wooden figures that could be personalized with our family, I ordered them right away and he has been traveling with them ever since. For this layout I wanted to focus on using the gorgeous circle brushwork in Rhonna Farrer's digital kit.

Journaling: Daddy loves to go through Paris on the way to Pakistan. He was looking for something to bring with him on trips so I had these mini-dolls made of our family. He takes them with him wherever he goes and takes photos of them in all the different places where he goes so that we know that he loves us and is thinking about us. Everytime he goes through Paris he buys you an outfit. Your little blue jean jacket and 4 knit hats all came from Paris. No matter how tired he is, he always makes sure to make time to buy you something nice.


JE T'AIME PARIS by Marie Lottermoser 

Supplies: Other: ribbon, doily. Digital Supplies: Tags: See Through Tags by Rhonna Farrer (Two Peas in a Bucket), Paper: Simply Flourished No. 5 by Katie Pertiet (Designer Digitals), Brushes: Magical Brush Kit by Rhonna Farrer (House of 3), Brushes: Calligraphic Ornaments by Jo (Brusheezy), Brushes: Numbered Labels by Katie Pertiet (Designer Digitals), Banner: Banners, Ribbons and Scrolls (Dover Publications). Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5, Fonts: Alice in Wonderland, Rosewood. 

Design Notes: Hybrid page with a mini journaling notebook attached to the bottom of the page. 

Editor’s Note: I love the vintage look of this project by Marie. Her choice of title font is brilliant. The mini notebook is adorable with the pale pink ribbon adding just the right finishing touch. Being a hybrid project, this is something that could be made in multiples and given as party favors to friends and family! 

Journaling: je serai poète et toi poésie. (quote by François Coppée meaning I'll be a poet and you'll be poetry).


If you can’t be in Paris in April, the springtime, or otherwise, then the next best thing is to surround yourself with lovely reminders of your favorite city. You may be inspired to buy or make a necklace to wear near your heart, collect treasures to keep in your home, or learn the French language even! Maintenant que ressemble à de l'amusement! An example of this can be seen in Aly’s layout below, Fancy Nancy.

For many, thoughts of Paris are automatic thoughts of romance. You can use Parisian-themed products to translate love, nostalgia, glamour, and passion onto your page. This is a trend that is quietly making strides currently as more and more products are appearing with the Eiffel Tower theme.

Here are some products featuring the Eiffel Tower available now in stores:
Physical Products: 

● K&Company Travel Vacation Paris Eiffel Tower Stickers
● Sizzix BigZ Die ~ Eiffel Tower
● 7 Gypsies - Petit Carnet Voyage Collection
● Paper House Productions - Paris Collection
● Making Memories - Je t'Adore Collection
● Paper House Productions - Paris Collection
● My Mind's Eye - Union Square Collection Home
● Hampton Art Wood-Mounted Rubber Stamp Eiffel Tower Collage
● Graphic 45 - Paris Post Transatlantique Collection
● KI Memories- Paris Puffies Embellishments  

Digital Products: 

● Queen of Cakes Collab with Holliewood Studios by Tangie Baxter Designs (Scrapbookgraphics)
● Paris & Co Elements A La Carte Wordart by Carina Gardner (TwoPeasinaBucket)
● Mademoiselle - January Build Your Own Collab by Jenn Barrette (The Lilypad)
● Paris Pink Collection by Syndee Nuckles (Scrapgirls)
● Love in Paris by Noshay Designs (Digital Crea)
● Wanderlust Collab with Valorie Wibbens by Boutique Cute Doll (Scrapbookgraphics)
● Je T’aime by WM[squared] (Scrapmatters) 
 
Thank you to all of my contributors to this article! Your work is beautiful and inspiring.


Fancy Nancy by Aly Hall 

Digital Supplies: Elements, Papers, Alpha: Mademoiselle - January Build Your Own Collab by Jenn Barrette (The Lilypad), Paper Pieces: Happiness Is - January Build Your Own Collab by Jacque Larsen (The Lilypad), Template: Ubermini v. 20 by Amy Martin (The LilyPad), Itty Bitty Dates 12 by Biograffiti (Oscraps), Font: The Wolff by Heather Hess. 

Editor’s Note: I was drawn to this layout because of the use of white space, the fun title work, and the fact that the journaling reveals that a child loves being exposed to the culture and language of love. 

Journaling: One of Taylor’s favorite new things to read is Fancy Nancy books. She is the cutest little girl who loves her world and everything in it to be fancy. She loves to use french words too. Taylor likes these, because she can read some of them on her own, and she gets to learn all sorts of fancy new words.


A Weekend in Paris by Georgia Visacri 

Digital Supplies: Papers: Silly Girl kit by Jenn Barrette and Valorie Wibbens (The Lilypad), Border Templates: Edgity Edges by Heidi Larsen (Little Dreamer Designs) and Punchy Edges by Julie Billingsley (Sweet Shoppe Designs), Number Rub-ons: Est Date by Sahlin Studio (The Lilypad), Paint: Misty Ink by Atomic Cupcake (Atomic Cupcake), Embellishments:: Silly Girl kit by Jenn Barrette and Valorie Wibbens (The Lilypad), Bracket: Away we Go kit by Zoe Pearn (Sweet Shoppe Designs), Paris Stamp: Travel the World Europe by Julia Makotinski (Catscrap), Ric-Rac: My Ribbon Bin by Amber Clegg (The Lilypad), Card: Retro Journaling Cards by Sahlin Studio (The Lilypad), Stitches: In Stitches by Robyn Meierotto (Design House Digital), Alphabet: Tweetie Pie kit by Corina Nielsen, Font: Rough_typewriter, Photoshop Actions by Night-Fate (Deviant Art), Software: Photoshop CS3. 

Design Notes: I always enjoy creating travel scrapbook pages, especially using multiple photos. I wanted to make a happy and colorful page using elements that I love the most, such as stitching, laces, ribbons, paint and scalloped paper templates.


J' adore by Jaz Lee Soo Hui 

Supplies: Paper: Pink Paisley Parisian, Webster's Pages, My Mind's Eye, Echo Park Paper Co., Cardstock: Bazill Basics, Flowers: Prima Marketing, Stash, Die Cuts: The Girl's Paperie, Transparency (backing): Prima, Stickers: K & Company, Glitz, Pins: Maya Road, Pens: American Craft, Fabric: Love Elsie, Other: butterflies, sticky notes, doilies, string, buttons, charms. Tools: Punches: Martha Stewart Heart Lace Punch, Stamps: Rhonna Farrer. 

Design Notes: Using light colour pattern on a light background colour page can be romantic too. Journaling: I wish you both lots of Happiness.


Subscribe to GingerScrapsStreet Magazine for free!

Current Calls - Deadline May 30th




Enjoy This Post?
Want More?
Subscribe by Email
Add to Google Reader
Pin It

1 comment:

scrappysue said...

WOW, so much eye candy, I will need to come back for a second (and third!) look. Thanks so much for sharing. Sue x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...