Wednesday, July 13

As Seen in GingerScrapsStreet Magazine June 2011

This is my article from GingerScrapsStreet June 2011:


1 + 1 = 3
Julie Ann Shahin
13
Babies and More
My sister just had her baby showers within the last few weeks, so 1+1=3: Babies and More, is a topic near and dear to my heart as I look forward to becoming an Auntie once again. In this article, you’ll find a wide array of projects relating to newborns and babies, to pregnancy, to shower gifts and cards. Some of them will be digital, some hybrid, and some traditional. While they tend to be on the feminine side, just imagine switching the colors to blues, oranges, and greens for boys. I scoured the internet for the freshest and brightest ideas, so I hope you’ll find inspiration on the next few pages for that new baby in your life. 

I’ve organized the next three pages into three categories: Gift Items, Pregnancy, and Babies. Plus there are bonus project ideas by Sandy Ang and Melanie Kelly on the Scrapstreet Blog (5/ 30/11) for you to check out!

Welcome Little Angel (New Baby Door Hanger) by Nicoletta Porcu
Supplies: Paper, Ink: Stampin' Up, Cardstock: Bazzil, Alphabet: Pazzle Inspirations, Alphabet Stickers: Stamperia (an Italian brand), Rub-Ons: Basic Grey, Lace: pizzo "sangallo", Pearls: Artemio, Glitter: Martha Stewart, Other: ribbon, ink. Tools: Die Cut Machine: Cuttlebug (Provocraft), Dies: Sizzix, Punches: Crop-A-dile Big Bite, Border Punches: EK Success, Stamps: Tecnique Tuesday, Fiskars.

Design Notes: I created this for the birth of the little Sofia! My best friend's daughter! When i created it I'm very excited and I did It with much love! My friend has very much appreciated! however, this creation isn't as beautiful as the tiny Sofia! 

Editor’s Note: This looks like one of those hoop creations that are so trendy right now. One could duplicate this look using an embroidery hoop or just use a round plate to make a canvas creation like Nicoletta did. So adorable! 


New Baby Girl Backpack Gift by Emma Jackson aka Hobbes130 

Supplies: Paper: Epson Matte Paper Heavyweight 167g/m, Other: Ribbon, Buttons, Eyelets, Double sided tape, Embroidery Silk Thread from Stash. Tools: Other: scissors. Digital Supplies: Backplate Template: Junior by Krisi's Kreations (ScrapMatters), Kit: Graham Like the Cracker by Quentin and Emma (ScrapMatters), Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended. 

Design Notes: Use the best photo matte card you can afford it will make for more vibrant colors and your finished product will look all the better for it. Always try to embellish with some physical items beyond the printed paper it will take your design to the next level. This project is great for a beginner as I was new to hybrid when I created this one, so have a go, and most important of all have fun with your projects.



Hybrid Baby Gift by Pene Toose aka rtoose 

Supplies:  Cardstock: A4 Whisper White Cardstock by Stampin' Up Box: Recycled Other: Growsuit/onesie, Tools:Printer, Paper Trimmer, Iron. Digital Supplies: Kit: Flutterby Angel by Lina Dragini (LDrag Designs), Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 6. 

Design Notes: Use a good quality transfer paper, a dry iron and don't forget to reverse your image before printing. You can do this in Photoshop or some printers have this option. The box I used is recycled from my large stash of things I don't throw out because one day I may use them!



A woman can be pregnant, as in carrying developing offspring, and a woman can be pregnant, as in giving “rich in significance or implication; "a meaning look" (wordnetweb.princeton.edu/ perl/webwn). The next three layouts exemplify both of these qualities, beautiful pregnancies, with precious overtones of love, happiness, and hope. The celebration of this time period is something every proper baby scrapbook needs. 

Here is a list of additional ways to scrap your pregnancy:
● The pregnancy test
● A monthly shot of your belly (in the same pose, same/similar clothes)
● Sharing the news with family and friends
● Girl or Boy?
● Ultrasound scan/Doctor’s Visits
● Maternity Clothes Wardrobe
● Nursery Decorating
● Cravings and Emotions
● Baby showers
● Letter to Your Unborn Child(ren)
● Advice You’ve Received
● Parenting Thoughts
● Labor Day/At The Hospital



Asuka by Jaz Lee Soo Hui 

Supplies: Paper, Alphabet Stickers, Flowers, Lace: Webster's Pages, Border Punches: Martha Stewart, Other: doily, film strip. 

Design Notes: Use a frame over the photo and that will bring the eyes to focus on the photo itself. Journaling: pure beauty...



Hot Mama (to be) by Sara Frisch

Digital Supplies: Kit: Kylee Nicole by Jessica Edwards, Software: Photoshop CS3, Fonts: Pea Daisy Doodles. 

Design Notes: I extracted the photo to make my belly "pop." 

Editor’s Note: Banners are so hot right now, and Sara’s version as a clothesline of baby clothes is so cute and eye-catching. I love the amount of journaling Sara included on this layout, it really captures her feelings at the time and lets us in. And she is oh, so cute in her dress and leggings!!! xoxo

Journaling: There are very few photos of me pregnant. It's not that I felt "fat" or "ugly." I just didn't feel like myself. I wasn't a mama-to-be who relished being pregnant. I was more excited about what my life would be like AFTER I had the baby. But watching my body go from perfectly toned and thin to puffy and stretchmarked (not to mention the nerve problems) was really tough. I knew I already loved the little girl growing inside me, but I sure wished I somehow could have prepared myself for what pregnancy would do to me physically. My "basketball belly" looked cute but I didn't feel cute. In July my mom's side of the family threw me a baby shower. I was excited to see all our family and friends, and I wanted to look nice for the occasion (since I normally wear jeans or loose knit pants). When I put on my dress and leggings, for once I actually felt like one hot mama-to-be! 



What’s In A Name? by Julie Ann Shahin 

Digital Supplies: Template: Pages Templates Vol. 3 by Thaty Borges Designs (Scrapbookgraphics), Action: Paperworn Art Styles & BONUS Action by Tangie Baxter Designs (Scrapbookgraphics), Alpha: Silhouette {Collab w/ DeCrow Designs} by Tangie Baxter Designs (Scrapbookgraphics), Papers: DARKROOM Collab w/ DeCrow Designs, {TBD Classic Collabs} Treetop Serenade with SherrieJD, Millenium Treehouse (retired), Art Journal Caravan Provisions {Parcel 41} with Amanda Sexton, Art Stomp! Collab w/ Roben-Marie Designs, Art Journal Caravan Provisions {Parcel 01} (all by Tangie Baxter Designs at Scrapbookgraphics), Embrace Life by Sande Krieger (Memory Makers Magazine), Paint: Messy Painted Circles by Molly DeCrow, She Found Her Bliss by Tangie Baxter Designs (Scrapbookgraphics), 4 and Twenty Blackbirds by Tangie Baxter Designs (Scrapbookgraphics), Key: Lot No. 79 {Curious Adventures: The Curious Collection} by Tangie Baxter Designs (Scrapbookgraphics), String: Canine Dreaming the Kit by Tangie Baxter Designs (Scrapbookgraphics), Heart: Love Birds Mini Kit by Tangie Baxter Designs (Scrapbookgraphics), Tag: Art Stomp! Collab w/ Roben-Marie Designs, Ricrak: Art Journal Caravan Provisions {Parcel 41} with Amanda Sexton by Tangie Baxter Designs (Scrapbookgraphics), Lines: Art Journal Caravan 2011 Provisions {Parcel 12} Apprentice Art Box Edition by Tangie Baxter Designs (Scrapbookgraphics), All Additional Embellishments: Melon Madness by Amy Hutchinson, Fonts: Hurricane, White Queen [Art Journaling Font] by Tangie Baxter Designs (Scrapbookgraphics), Tweedledee [Art Journaling Font] by Tangie Baxter Designs (Scrapbookgraphics), Software: Photoshop Elements 7. 

Design Notes: I specifically chose items that looked realistic, as I love having my digital pages look like they could be traditional pages. Since my sister is having a boy, I chose colors that complimented her nursery as a color scheme, especially greens, oranges, and yellows. 

Journaling: Baby Boy Names: Charlie, Gideon, Grayson, Logan, Quinn? Due Date: May 20, 2011



The baby has been born and it’s love at first sight. Now you get to scrap our darling edition to your family, that son or daughter we’ve waited so long to meet. Or perhaps, it’s your niece, nephew, granddaughter or grandson! What products are you going to use in your page or album? Do you prefer the traditional baby soft pastels, or something non-traditional that evokes the emotions you are feeling? 

The next three layouts demonstrate three magnificent, yet varied ways to use product for beautiful baby pages. Marie uses specific baby tags and paper by Cosmo Cricket in her fun and whimsical hybrid layout. Georgia uses the same color palette yet from a kit not specifically created for babies in her playful design. Olenkamajka goes for an original and striking color combo of red, white, and yellow that emphasizes hearts as an embellishment. 

Here are additional products you might want to consider:
● Precious by Natali Designs
● Tuesday’s Child Collab with Studio Flergs by Kaye Winiecki
● Baby’s First Year Labels at Gotta Pixel
● Melissa Frances - Heart and Home - Attic Treasures Collection - 6 x 6 Paper Pad
● Pink Paislee - Butterfly Garden Collection - 12 x 12 Paper Pack
● Petaloo - Crocheted Flower Garland - Light Pink
● Echo Park - Little Boy Collection - 12 x 12 Collection Kit
● Queen and Company - Kids Collection - Brads - Vehicles



You are mine sunshine by Olenkamajka 

Digital Supplies: Kit: Reach For The Sun Charity Collab (Ninth and Bloom), Software: PSP CorelX, Photo by Iga L. 

Editor’s Note: This is a super sweet and eye-catching layout. The reds just ooze the amount of love the mother has for her newborn. The subtle word art, splatters, and cute hearts and flowers are just perfect, making me wish this is a layout I had scrapped myself! xoxo.




Welcome to the World! by Georgia Visacri 

Digital Supplies: Papers: Xo by Creashens (Catscrap), Everyday Flair by Creashens (Catscrap), Lace, Trim, Journal Card: Smitten by Creashens (Catscrap), Tag: Everyday Flair by Creashens (Catscrap), Flower, String, arrow and Tab: Xo by Creashens (Catscrap), Flower: Sweetness by Creashens (Catscrap), Photoshop Action: Pastel Action by Maybemej, Software: Photoshop CS3, Fonts: Unicorn. 

Design Notes: I wanted to make a newborn page trying to mix a few vibrant colors with pastel ones. The baby in the photo is my niece Bibi when she was born in 2007. I added circles to create some movement too. 




And Baby Makes 3 by Marie Lottermoser 

Supplies:  Embellishments: Birds Puffies by KI Memories, Other: baker’s twine, cardstock. Digital Supplies: Frame: Vintage Photo Frames by Kitschy Digitals (jessicasprague.com), Lace Paper: Christmas Collaboration Kit by Kitschy Digitals (jessicasprague.com), Tags: Early Bird Elements by Cosmo Cricket (jessicasprague.com), Tags: Little Boy and Girl Elements by Cosmo Cricket (jessicasprague.com), Tags: Earth Love Elements by Cosmo Cricket (jessicasprague.com), Software: Photshop CS5, Fonts: Jazz Essay and Coffee Tin (dafont.com) 

Design Notes: This is a hybrid page made with digital design elements (as noted in the supply list), and a pennant made out of cardstock and bakers twine. 

Journaling: We waited for you for so long, and now we can’t imagine our lives without you. When you were born on the 4th of July, daddy called you his little firecracker.




Enjoy This Post?
Want More?
Subscribe by Email
Add to Google Reader
Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...